Ah, a brand new cellphone. Is not there simply one thing unusually particular about that second of opening up a field, peeling off the protecting plastic, and powering up a pristine pocket-computer for the very first time?
Sadly, after that fantastical startup animation finishes, actuality often units in — and also you understand you are in for a protracted, exhausting journey of copying stuff over, setting issues up, and making an attempt to get your fancy new cellphone to look and act the best way you need.
To be truthful, transferring from one Android cellphone to a different has gotten a heck of quite a bit simpler through the years. However regardless of all that progress, it might probably nonetheless be a frightening course of that is crammed with each quirks and uncertainty. And all of the web’s recommendation about transferring from an iPhone to Android will not make it easier to one bit.
This information, nonetheless, will. In the event you’re already within the Android universe and getting ready to maneuver from one Android cellphone to a different, these are the steps and the variables it’s good to think about. Observe ’em carefully, and you will be up and operating and having fun with that new cellphone scent very quickly.
Half I: Put together your outdated Android cellphone for switching
Consider it or not, a profitable Android cellphone transfer begins in your outdated system — the one you are prepared to go away behind. Earlier than you even begin desirous about your shiny new alternative, we have two necessary areas to work by and ensure are absolutely ready for migration:
Android service syncing
Before everything, the rationale switching from one Android cellphone to a different is a lot simpler than it was is essentially due to the entire easy syncing methods constructed into our gadgets. So take a minute to ensure you’re taking full benefit of these prospects. It’s going to set your phone-moving voyage up for a lot smoother crusing.
And this is the very best half: In the event you use all of Google’s built-in Android migration mechanisms, you do not even want Samsung Sensible Change or every other proprietary methods (and you may safely skip over these if the prompts come up throughout your new cellphone setup). All the things with the core Google Android phone-switching instruments ought to simply work, as soon as fired up correctly — and normally, it’s going to require little or no thought or effort.
To start out:
- In the event you aren’t already utilizing Google Contacts in your cellphone, obtain the app now and migrate your cellphone’s contacts into the service. That’ll get your contacts off your particular person system (and/or out of your phone-maker’s restricted and proprietary storage system) and make ’em instantly accessible on any system — cellphone or laptop, regardless of who made it — as quickly as you check in.
- Open up Google Photographs, faucet your profile image within the upper-right nook, and make sure that your photos and movies are being backed as much as the service. If they don’t seem to be, think about activating that possibility. It’s going to maintain every thing you seize in your digital camera perpetually synced and accessible on any system the place you check in — together with a pc! — and make your life immeasurably simpler in consequence.
- Check out your textual content messaging setup. With most telephones and messaging apps, Google will now robotically again up and sync up your messages after which deliver them over to your new system. Google’s personal Messages app makes this course of particularly easy and manageable. (And make your self a psychological be aware: If for any cause your messages do not get migrated over as anticipated, an app referred to as SMS Backup & Restore will make it easier to deal with that after the very fact fairly simply.)
- Obtain the Google One app, if it is not already in your system, and search for the field about your present system backup on its fundamental display screen. Faucet that field, then faucet “Handle backup,” and it’s best to be capable of see precisely what sorts of information the system is ready to sync for you and when it final backed all of that up. Make sure that each “System information” and “Multimedia messages” are chosen, then faucet “Again up now” to get every thing as updated as attainable.
Most different areas of Android are usually synced robotically and with none guide work in anyway as of late — your calendar, your notes and paperwork, any information linked to Google Drive or different cloud storage providers, and so forth. As a rule, even one thing like a music assortment is now tied to a streaming service and designed to be accessible anyplace.
In the event you consider something in your system that is an exception, although, now’s the time to take inventory of it and be ready to take care of it later — by copying it to a cloud storage service, transferring it to a pc, or setting it as much as robotically sync out of your outdated cellphone to your new one.
RCS message migration
This is one necessary a part of the Android cellphone switching course of that is not precisely apparent or intuitive: In the event you’re utilizing the Google Messages app, it’s good to signal out of its RCS Chat system in your outdated system prior to transferring into your new cellphone.
RCS stands for wealthy communication providers. It is a newer messaging customary that permits you to have a extra modern-feeling chat expertise with different people who find themselves additionally utilizing it — seeing lively typing indicators and browse receipts, having the ability to share larger-sized information, and figuring out all your communications are encrypted.
However RCS, by its nature, is linked to just one system at a time. And for those who attempt to transfer into a brand new Android cellphone with out first disabling it in your outdated one, you are certain to run into issues.
Fortunately, the repair for that is easy — no less than, as soon as you know the way to do it. Simply make sure you wait to do that till you are 100% able to signal into your new system:
- Open the Google Messages app in your outdated cellphone.
- Faucet the three-dot menu icon within the app’s upper-right nook and choose “Settings.”
- Faucet “Chat Options.”
- Flip the toggle subsequent to “Allow chat options” into the off place.
If you wish to be extra-cautious, you too can head over to this net web page, scroll right down to the underside, and put your cellphone quantity into the shape. Observe the steps to confirm it, and that’ll signal you out of RCS fully on the server stage. (That is additionally possibility to bear in mind in case your outdated cellphone is misplaced, damaged, or in any other case unavailable.)
As soon as you’ve got executed that, there’s extra one last step that is necessary to do: Flip your outdated cellphone off. That’ll end severing the connection between RCS and that system and get you able to signal into the Chat function in your new Android cellphone.
Bought it? Good. Now we’re prepared for the enjoyable half.
Half II: Switch information to your new Android cellphone
Congratulations! You are formally able to energy up your fairly new Android companion.
The precise steps and interfaces concerned right here might fluctuate considerably from one system and Android model to a different, however the primary parts ought to all the time be just about the identical.
While you first begin up your new Android cellphone, it’s going to ask you to insert a SIM card, if you have not already. In the event you had a bodily SIM card in your outdated cellphone, it’s best to be capable of deliver it over to the brand new one. Simply search for a tiny slot someplace alongside the system’s sides. You may sometimes want a small pin-tool to get it to open. In a pinch, even a paperclip can work. (And if the SIM card does not appear to suit, it might be a unique measurement. You may both want to select up an affordable SIM card cutter or adapter — or, higher but, simply ask your provider for an up to date alternative. Most carriers will present these at no additional cost.)
Relying in your provider, you may additionally be capable of activate your service with out a bodily card through the use of an eSIM. In the event you see that possibility, you may definitely attempt it to see if it really works.
After that, Android might want to hook up with a Wi-Fi community to proceed the setup. Choose the title of your house or work community, put within the password, and wait a couple of minutes whereas the system will get issues prepared. (It is a nice time to pause and go get your self some pretzels, a hearty portion of pudding, and/or a pastrami sandwich. Don’t fret: I am going to wait.)
When you see a display screen prompting you to repeat your apps and information, you are able to get rolling. It is best to have the choice to make use of a bodily cable connection between your outdated and new cellphone or to depend on your newest Google-stored cloud backup to deal with this a part of the method. The cable path is usually a teensy bit sooner, however you will attain the identical vacation spot both manner.
In case your outdated cellphone is inaccessible or you do not have a cable useful, the cloud backup path is clearly the best way you will must go. Search for a line that claims “Cannot use outdated cellphone” — or one thing alongside these basic traces — to get there.
Your outdated cellphone will immediate you to substantiate that you just wish to copy all your information over, and you may then must kind in your Google account password on the brand new cellphone to substantiate. After which, you will have the chance to decide on precisely which bits of information you wish to deliver over.
I would strongly recommend taking a second to consider carefully about what you do and do not really need. Particularly in relation to your apps, it is a uncommon likelihood to provide your self a recent begin and go away a number of the dust-collecting digital cobwebs behind. So earlier than charging ahead, faucet the road that claims “Apps,” faucet the topmost checkmark to unselect every thing, after which manually choose solely the apps you genuinely nonetheless use with any regularity.
A superb rule of thumb: In the event you do not suppose you will use one thing throughout the subsequent week, do not choose it. Odds are, you will not even know it is gone — and your cellphone can have more room, fewer wasted sources, and fewer pointless third-party permissions granted in consequence. And for those who do discover you miss one thing later, it’s going to take all of 20 seconds to move into the Play Retailer and reinstall it.
Apps apart, this a part of the Android cellphone switching course of may also give you the chance to switch sure sorts of information immediately out of your outdated cellphone — together with any pictures and movies which can be saved domestically in addition to any music or different sorts of audio. In the event you’ve already backed these gadgets as much as a cloud service, you may safely uncheck them right here and keep away from filling up your cellphone’s storage with redundant native copies.
And at last, you will see a checkbox to repeat over your system settings. That one’s necessary and one thing you will completely wish to go away checked, assuming you are proud of how you’ve got had issues arrange earlier than.
As soon as all that is executed, you will simply have to go away the telephones linked for a couple of minutes whereas they end their work. And you’ll transfer forward with the ultimate elements of your new cellphone configuration course of.
Half III: Arrange your new Android cellphone
Take a deep breath: You are nearly executed! All that is left is to get a couple of odds and ends configured in your new Android cellphone.
Your largest remaining process at this level is to open up your necessary apps, one after the other, and ensure you’re signed in and arrange as wanted inside each. In concept, most apps ought to do many of the heavy lifting for you, however this a part of the method typically is not as clean and easy because it oughta be.
A number of particular areas to ensure you do not overlook:
- In the event you’re utilizing any cellphone aside from a Google Pixel system, observe the identical steps from earlier than and ensure your cellphone is utilizing Google Contacts for all of its contacts storage and syncing. That’ll pull your current information over and permit every thing to remain updated transferring ahead.
- Open up Google Photographs and observe the steps that present as much as begin syncing your pictures and movies. Your current library ought to seem and be accessible inside a matter of moments.
- Head into Google Messages, if that is your most well-liked messaging app, and look within the app’s settings to verify the RCS Chat system is on, registered, and lively.
- And go into Google Pay (or every other cell cost app you depend on) and take a second to register your most well-liked cost strategies in order that they’ll be linked up and prepared to be used.
And wouldya take a look at that? You have simply switched Android telephones and efficiently migrated all your necessary stuff over. It is best to now be able to cost ahead — in your pretty new digital residence however with all of the comforts and conveniences of your outdated one.
That wasn’t so dangerous, proper?
Copyright © 2021 IDG Communications, Inc.